So, today, Jack and I ventured out on our day off to run a few errands. Our first stop was at Cookie Cutters for a haircut. Of all the places I expect Jack to misbehave, this would be the one. But, never once, has he done anything but sit still and smile while they cut his hair. It amazes me!! (And today, he got his first haircut with the buzzer...and gel to spike up the top--he looked so stinking cute!!!).
Next up was the book store. I needed to return a couple books I didn't read, and I planned to buy Jack some new books for our trip out East in a couple weeks (the thought of 9 hours in the car with a not quite 2 year old-and a wild one at that-continues to terrify me). We moseyed on through, found our books, played at the train table, made a quick escape for a diaper change, and then, heaven forbid, I offered him a snack (because I thought that's what he was getting fidgety for). I don't know if it was the wrong snack or the wrong container but he was NOT happy. And he proceeded to scream and cry at the top of his lungs in the otherwise VERY quiet book store. I tried to head back to get our books where we left them, and while I'm pushing the stroller, Jack continues to scream and is now getting himself completely sideways in the little umbrella stroller (entire upper body hanging off one side, feet off the other, the little waist strap the only thing holding him). So, I make it back to the chair, sit him in it, re-offer the water and snack (which works for a second)...then next thing I know, he's throwing our books out into the aisle, kicking his shoes off, and then sliding down the seat in that nasty temper tantrum like arching that every parent of a toddler knows too well. At this point, I realize that this adventure is no longer salvageable (I have NO idea what his deal is)...and that I'm not even going to be able to get what I came for since my child is so obnoxiously disturbing the peaceful atmosphere where most people go to quietly relax and enjoy browsing a good book.
The entire time, I refrained from speaking to him, and silently maneuvered us (diaper bag over one shoulder, attempting to push the stroller one handed, and a frantic, sobbing/screaming Jack in the other arm). I was M-O-R-T-I-F-I-E-D.
No comments:
Post a Comment