Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Sad Day

This is my Grandpa (with Jack at 2 months of age).


Today, my Grandpa left the farm he grew up on and moved into the nursing home (he has Alzheimer's). I can't even wrap my brain around this. I can't imagine visiting Grandma and Grandpa's (and now my parents location as well)....and not seeing Grandpa. For as long as I can remember, when I pulled into the drive he was outside-rain or shine-to greet us. And ALWAYS there to wave us goodbye. In recent years, I realized the day would come when he would no longer stand outside to wave us off, but its so much harder than I ever thought it would be.

--------

We visited them this past Sunday...I hadn't been down there since the end of November. Last time I was there he was still getting around, knew who everyone was, and was able to engage in conversation. But now, he is no longer mobile, and there was nothing but a blank/vacant stare...no idea who I was. And not to be overly depressing, but he never will again. I don't know how Mom and Grandma have handled this on a daily basis because it quite simply breaks my heart. And I'm struggling to find any kind of positive in this. I'm just going to miss him and the incredible man he was.

---------

I love you, Grandpa.
----------
(Here is a picture from this weekend)

I am not sure when Grandpa decided to become a monk lol.
And yep, you guessed it--that's a Snuggie. My dad can't resist those infomercials.

No comments: