Thursday, August 2, 2012

Can't Believe It...

Ben sucks at nighttime sleep (in my opinion).  At nearly 8 months old, he still wakes up sometimes as many as 2 times (3 on a rare occasion) between 8a-8p.  We stopped doing the dreamfeed (unless he wakes up on his own) and that seems to have helped a bit.  On good nights we usually see one 5-6 hour stretch (I can't believe that this is what experts actually call sleeping through the night...probably because it sure doesn't feel like I am).  Occasionally we've seen an 8-9 hour stretch once we dropped that last feed before we went to bed.

Well, last night I put Ben to bed at 8pm, and he did not wake up at all until 8am.  So nice!  Then he took not just one, but TWO 3-hour naps today.  And that was when I knew something was wrong with him.  There is no way he's just magically gone from sleeping so poorly to sleeping that well.  He's either exhausted from back to back daycare days, fighting some bug, or a growth spurt (or all three).  Because I'm certain we're just not going to get that lucky.  I will take whatever he wants to give me though.

----------------------------------------

Speaking of sleeping...someone fell asleep during "rest time" today


----------------------------------------

Tonight, I was reading Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child (my favorite go-to sleep book, not because I follow anything to a T, just because I like the facts and figures and general guidelines).  Anyway, apparently Ben is perfectly normal in his sleep patterns for his age group.  Some people get lucky (we certainly did with Jack) and other times, this is what you get.  The gist of what it says is that some babies who go down to sleep easy for naps and bedtimes (which is Ben), more commonly wake up 1-2 times during the night.  It also said to expect many babies to wake up 4-6 hours after their bedtime to eat, and again between 4-5:00 am, and to feed them promptly and go back to sleep.  If your child is having these brief wake times to eat and goes right back to sleep, the author doesn't deem it changeworthy.  So, I may still be tired, but it makes me feel slightly better that he's not doing anything outside the norm, and that there's no reason to change what we're doing (which lol I wasn't going to do anyway--you have to trust your mommy instincts regardless of what the "experts" say).

No comments: